The Cleveland Orchestra is looking for dynamic, creative individuals with the skills, knowledge, and experience to join our staff and support one of the world’s finest orchestral institutions. We offer an excellent salary and benefits package as well as providing the exceptional opportunity for you to contribute your talents and expertise.
To apply for a position posted below, except as noted for specific a position, please email your resume and letter of application in Word format to HR@clevelandorchestra.com, or you can fill out the Employment Application Form and return it to us by email or mail.
The Cleveland Orchestra is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Open Staff Positions
Director of Orchestra Personnel
The Cleveland Orchestra is seeking a dynamic individual to fill the role of The Director of Orchestra Personnel. This is a leadership management position responsible for the institution’s employment of musicians, including recruitment, auditions, scheduling, contract compliance, and other aspects of their work, but not including the artistic and technical aspects of their playing. The Director of Orchestra Personnel is responsible for planning, communication, and supervision of the Orchestra’s playing services and for the productive interaction among and between musicians, conductors, and management. This individual will operate both independently and in collaborative teams, must have excellent judgment and decision-making, outstanding interpersonal skills, and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Minimum 5 years experience in orchestra personnel management or a combination of a minimum 2-3 years in a senior personnel management role and 2-3 years experience as an orchestral musician.
- Formal musical education or directly relevant equivalent work experience; extensive knowledge of classical orchestral repertoire and instrumentation.
- Ability to balance artistic, institutional, financial, and individual considerations within an overall commitment to artistic excellence.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills; the ability to anticipate and solve problems consistently and creatively.
- Responsive, communicative, discreet, calm under pressure. Possessing a strong sense of fairness and good judgment.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain confidence, trust, and confidentiality among musicians and administration.
- Knowledge of employment law.
- Excellent computer skills and solid financial management & budgeting experience.
Advertising & Promotions Manager
The Cleveland Orchestra is looking for an enterprising, creative individual for our new Advertising and Promotions Manager. This position is responsible for the planning and implementation of cross-platform advertising and promotional campaigns, with the goal of reaching new audience segments and increased ticket sales for Cleveland Orchestra performances at Severance Hall and Blossom Music Center. This position will work with members of the marketing team to generate campaign ideas, coordinate the production of creative with internal and external staff, prepare budgets and cost estimates and track expenses. With the Director of Sales, the Advertising and Promotions Manager will negotiate, purchase and monitor print, broadcast and electronic advertising and direct promotions programs, including social media.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing or related field required, along with 3-5 years experience in sales and marketing.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with classical repertoire preferred.
- Ability to work well in a team environment with strong collaboration skills
- High level of creativity, self-motivated and the ability to multi-task.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and offer solutions.
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills in a professional & productive manner
- Ability to plan, budget and manage all functions of a marketing/advertising campaign
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer software applications, particularly the Microsoft Office Suite. Familiarity with Tessitura a plus, but not required. Knowledge of Audacity or other audio editing software a plus.
- Able to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
Operations Associate, Development Department
The Cleveland Orchestra has an opening for an Operations Associate in its dynamic Development Department. The Associate joins a team of researchers and fundraisers and will be responsible for supporting the research and data management functions through preparation of prospect reports, gift recording, processing and reporting, balancing daily accounts, donor account information, profile preparation and general support to the research team.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, information technology or related field required
- One to three years of experience in database management or technical support; familiarity with fundraising operations highly desirable
- Proficiency in SQL required; familiarity with Tessitura highly desirable
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Superior organizational skills with a high attention to detail is essential
- Analytical skills to interpret data and design custom reports
- Ability to balance a highly technical function with an outstanding level of customer service
Stewardship Coordinator – Institutional Giving
As part of the Philanthropy team at The Cleveland Orchestra, the Stewardship Coordinator assists in the planning and execution of fundraising and event logistics for our annual Gala; logistics related to entertaining corporate, foundation, and government donors; and philanthropic recognition servicing year-round at Severance Hall and Blossom Music Festival.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 2-4 years of nonprofit experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Professionalism in working with high-level donors and board members.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail is essential.
- Good organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently interact with all internal and external constituency groups.
- Excellent computer skills in the Microsoft Office Suite. Familiarity with fundraising software, especially Tessitura is highly desirable.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends as necessary.
- General knowledge of fundraising practices and knowledge of orchestral music is highly desirable.
Development Associate – Trustee Giving
The Cleveland Orchestra has an opening for a Development Associate in its dynamic Development department. The Associate joins a team of fundraising managers to provide administrative and operational support for the Director of Individual Giving. This position represents the department to the highest level constituents in Cleveland and Miami. He/she will support the management of trustee/board member needs, major capital campaign fundraising and annual fund activities, assistance with administration of selected committee meetings/activities, and general administrative support.
- Associate’s Degree required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- 2-4 years administrative office experience required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (proofreading, grammar, and punctuation).
- Professional demeanor including the ability to interact effectively with all internal and external constituency groups.
- Excellent organizational skills with a high attention to detail.
- Solid time management skills with the ability to multi-task in a fast paced work environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer software programs, particularly the Microsoft Office Suite, and data base applications.
Education and Community Programs Coordinator
The Cleveland Orchestra seeks an exceptional individual to provide operations, production and administrative coordination for all Education & Community programs (including but not limited to Education Concerts, Family Concerts, Community Concerts, and Neighborhood Residency programs), as well as select programs of the Cleveland Orchestra Youth Orchestra and Cleveland Orchestra Miami, and the management of the Orchestra’s college and adult education portfolio (Concert Previews, Music Study Groups, SAGES Tours). As the primary administrative coordinator for the department, this position also manages all aspects of the budget tracking and reporting process, oversees and supports the department’s use of ArtsVision, Tessitura and EBMS and the organization of electronic and paper files, and serves as the primary liaison between the department and the general public.
- Bachelor’s degree required with 2-4 years of previous similar experience.
- Knowledge of orchestras/classical music strongly preferred.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, self-starting, and able to respond to changing work assignments in a fast-paced environment.
- The ability to interact professionally and personably with Orchestra musicians, staff, Trustees, partner institutions, and the general public on a regular basis, and operate with grace under pressure is essential.
- Demonstrates independent, mature judgment; conveys a professional image and attitude.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Above average proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Experience in Tessitura, EBMS, or ArtsVision a plus; ability to learn new applications quickly essential.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends during high demand weeks (e.g., “Education Weeks”).
- First Aid and CPR certification a plus; must be able to obtain post-employment.
The Cleveland Orchestra is currently seeking a dedicated individual with a passion for music to join the Operations team as the new Operations Coordinator. This newly created position supports the Orchestra by coordinating the planning and implementation of concert logistics and assisting Operations Management in researching and planning orchestra needs for tours and runouts. The Coordinator will support concert productions and events at both Severance Hall and Blossom Music Center and assist with tour preparations. He/she will act as a primary liaison between external vendors and internal departments to communicate and secure production needs.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, along with a minimum of 1 year prior experience in arts administration/orchestra management
- Strong background in music and experience in working with performing artists
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, including the ability to anticipate problems, react productively to changing priorities and managing multiple projects and deadlines
- Strong problem-solving skills combined with a collaborative approach
- Superior interpersonal written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrate independent, mature judgment; convey a professional image and attitude.
- Must be willing and able to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings, weekends, and some holidays
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer programs, especially Microsoft Office
Cleveland Orchestra Youth Orchestra (COYO) Librarian/Assistant (part-time)
The Cleveland Orchestra is currently seeking a dedicated music student with a passion for orchestral music to join the Education Department as the part-time COYO (Cleveland Orchestra Youth Orchestra) Librarian/Assistant. The Youth Orchestra Librarian/Assistant is responsible for the coordination and maintenance of the COYO music library, for facilitating the chamber music program and for providing administrative and production support to the Youth Orchestra Manager to ensure the professional operation of the Youth Orchestra.
Qualification for this position include:
- Music student (older than 18) with orchestral experience
- Experience playing a string instrument(s) preferred but not required
- Computer knowledge (Microsoft Office Suite—Word, Excel)
- Flexible weekly work schedule can be arranged, but Librarian must be available for all weekend rehearsals and performances, all COYO Advanced Performance Seminar events, including outreach concerts, run-outs, Martin Luther King Community Open House, Side-by-side Concert and the annual overnight fall retreat
- Excellent interpersonal written and verbal communication skills
- Independent, mature judgment with a professional image and attitude